Little Baddow Churches
St Mary the Virgin
The church was built over a period of 400 years between 1100 and 1500, the oldest part being the Norman North wall of the nave. The nave was extended in the fourteenth century to create a chantry chapel for the Filliol family and the present chancel and tower were built at the same time.The porch was added in about 1400 and the tower was adapted for bells at the same time. The tenor bell, is one of the oldest in the diocese and by 1925 there was a ring of five bells. This number was increased to eight in 1986 and the bells are still rung on Sundays and special occasions.
http://www.littlebaddowchurches.org.uk/
Little Baddow Chapel United Reform Church
The historic building dates from 1707, following a grant from the Barrington Family which formed the basis for a trust that continues to this day. New building work was completed in Autumn 2012 allowing us new settings to continue to be responsive to our postmodern world. The churchyard of 3.5 acres is kept to a strict environmental code to be a refuge for wildlife and plant life. We host the largest colony of Meadow Saxafrage in Essex, and are pleased to welcome anyone to visit the grounds and building whenever convenient. This labour of love has been continued by one of our elders, Brenda Hooson, who wrote and illustrated a book chronicling the changing of the grounds over five years from month-to-month. This book, along with our history, can be purchased at the History Centre behind the church or from us directly.
https://littlebaddowhistorycentre.org.uk
http://www.littlebaddowchurches.org.uk/
Parish of the English Martyrs, Danbury
Fr. Niall Harrington
36 Inchbonnie Road
South Woodham Ferrers
Chelmsford
CM3 5FG
Telephone: 01245 324138
